What is Pre-Foundation English?
An English language preparation programme for students who want to improve their language level in order to progress onto Foundation Diploma in Art and Design or Level 3 Introduction courses at University of the Arts London.
Successful completion of this course means you can progress onto your Foundation Diploma or Level 3 course without having to take another IELTS test.
Pre-Foundation English will develop your English language and study skills in a creative arts context. You will have the opportunity to visit several of UAL’s Colleges to get familiar with resources available to you. You will also gain experience of the teaching and learning methods at UAL, which is great preparation for your main course. Learners will be using English in everyday situations, in real-life contexts. At the end of the course students will take an assessment in order to achieve the equivalent IELTS entry score needed for their course.
Class size on UAL Pre-Foundation English is maximum 18 students.
What is the difference between Pre-Foundation English and other English exam preparation courses?
Pre-Foundation English is a focused English language programme specifically for students studying at UAL. Please read the attached document below for a detailed comparison:
Who can take this course?
Pre-Foundation English is only for students who have a conditional offer for a Foundation Diploma or Level 3 Introduction course at University of the Arts London.
We offer a separate Presessional course for students joining undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
You must take an IELTS for UKVI test if you want to study Pre-Foundation English under a Tier 4 visa. Other internationally recognised certificates may be accepted if you will not be studying Pre-Foundation English under a Tier 4 visa. If you have a certificate other than IELTS, please contact the Presessional office well in advance to check whether this can be accepted as proof of English level.
Dates, fees and entry requirements
Please note: Pre-Foundation English is now closed for applications. The course has been very popular and became oversubscribed before the application deadline.
You can join the Pre-Foundation English course at University of the Arts London if your current IELTS score (or equivalent) is 0.5 below the requirement for your university main course entry requirements. There are also minimum skill score requirements.
Entry Requirements(IELTS for UKVI)
Foundation Diploma / Level 3 Introduction course entry requirements (IELTS)
|Overall Score||Each skill (minimum)|
Dates: 2 July – 17 August 2018
Course fees: £2,680
Maximum class size: 18 students
Application deadline: 18 June 2018
Enrolment deadline: 5 July 2018
Students will not be allowed to join the course after the enrolment deadline.
If your score is below the Pre-Foundation English entry requirement, we recommend that you take an Academic English course at the Language Centre. For more information about UAL main course entry requirements, visit the UAL English language requirements page.
Course content and assessment
The syllabus focuses on the development of language competence and fluency and the skills that you will need in Further Education, including specific skills for courses at UAL.
You will use a course book and a range of other materials reflective of the art and design focus of the university.
You will be assessed in academic writing, presentation and discussion, listening and reading. These assessments will help you to develop the skills and knowledge you will need for your Foundation or Level 3 introduction course.
You will have one-to-one tutorials with your tutor to discuss your progress and receive advice on your studies. There will also be visits to other sites of the university that will help prepare you for the year ahead.
Self-study and independent learning
We want to help you to become a confident and independent student so we will regularly give you homework and self-study tasks. You will be expected to do approximately 8-10 hours of self-study per week. This is likely to increase when you are preparing for your assessment.
You will be able to use all of the university facilities including the libraries and IT facilities and university staff will be on hand to show you how to use them.
Pre-Foundation English lessons take place Monday to Friday for 4 hours per day, in either the morning or afternoon as per the timetable for your course (a total of 20 hours per week).
Pre-Foundation English is taught by experienced English language tutors. They all have a diploma or equivalent level ELT/TESOL qualification and some also have an MA in Linguistics or Visual Arts.
The Language Centre at UAL is accredited by the British Council.
Accommodation for Presessional
Accommodation is available in our halls of residence for Presessional students. If it is your first time studying in the UK, we strongly recommend staying in our halls to get yourself familiar with London. Take a look at our Accommodation opportunities for Presessional webpage.
- Places on our Presessional courses are limited so we advise you to apply as early as possible in order to secure a place on the course you wish to join. This is a very popular course and there is no guarantee that places will still be available by the application deadline.
- You can only join Pre-Foundation English if you have an offer for a UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design or Level 3 Introduction course starting in the academic year 2018/19. You must meet the language entry requirements in order to join the course. If you do not meet the entry requirements, please contact the Language Centre for information on alternative courses.
- If you are unable to take up your place on the Pre-Foundation English programme, the course fee will be refunded to you, minus the booking fee. The booking fee is non-refundable, except where the university considers there are significant extenuating circumstances.
- Your class may be in the morning, afternoon or evening. It is therefore important that you do not make other commitments, including accepting work, until you receive your timetable.
- You are required to attend at least 90% of the course otherwise you may be asked to leave. Do not arrange holidays during the course. If you are absent due to sickness for more than 3 consecutive days you will be asked to provide a certificate from an NHS doctor.
- Insurance, provided by the company “Endsleigh”, is included in your tuition fees. The policy starts from the moment we receive your booking and covers medical emergencies, theft and many other things.
How to apply
Bookings for Pre-Foundation English will open in mid-February 2018. Please check our website from mid-January 2018 for further updates and for booking terms and conditions.
Any questions? Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tier 4 visa information
If you are eligible to study under Tier 4, you will be issued with a CAS to cover study on Pre-Foundation English only. After you successfully complete Pre-Foundation English, you will need to make a new visa application for your Foundation Diploma or Level 3 Introduction course at UAL.
Please note: we strongly advise all students to take an IELTS for UKVI test before applying to Pre-Foundation English. Upon successful completion of the Pre-Foundation English course, you will need an IELTS for UKVI test result with a minimum of 4.0 in each skill in order to make a Tier 4 visa application for your Foundation Diploma or Level 3 Introduction course at UAL. If you require further information or have any questions about this please contact us: email@example.com